Doctors , Medical Professionals & Healthcare
Consultant – Geriatric Medicine
- Full Time
- London Central
Applicants are invited for the post of Consultant Geriatrician within the Rehab and Elderly Medicine Directorate on a 10PA basis, however LTFT applications will be considered. Successful candidates will join an existing team of 23 consultants whose clinical activities support a range of sub-specialities including orthogeriatrics, movement disorders, acute frailty, FASS and dementia and delirium care. Clinical management of patients is well supported through the use of a consultant delivered model of care across a 7 day period and the department proves attractive to candidates wishing to join a dynamic, ambitious and forward thinking service.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our growing department, as we undergo an exciting period of expansion and service development. Dynamic, enthusiastic and team-oriented candidates with a passion for our specialty, who are keen to take an active role in service development, are invited to apply for this position.
We are an enthusiastic and supportive team which is passionate about delivering high quality care to our patients, excellent educational opportunities for trainees, and in working collaboratively with the wider healthcare system.
Main duties of the job
Our department’s aim is to enhance the health and wellbeing of our older population. We deliver a comprehensive range of services across intermediate and secondary care with particular focus on early comprehensive geriatric assessment in the acute setting. Our services include:
- Specialist multidisciplinary care on our wards for older people.
- Comprehensive orthogeriatric service
- An Emergency Department Frailty Service
- OPRAC/SDEC outpatient clinics
- Surgical liaison service
Applicants must possess MRCP, hold a CCST and be on the GMCs Specialist Register, or be within 6 months of being admitted to the GMCs Specialist Register. Skills in undergraduate teaching and emergency medicine are desirable. Development of sub-speciality interests will be encouraged and supported in line with service priorities. Post holders will play a key role in both new and ongoing service developments within geriatric medicine and work closely with the Clinical Lead, Clinical Director, Directorate Manager to develop / deliver safe and sustainable high quality services for patients.
You will be expected to develop, in conjunction with the department, a comprehensive service for elderly patients and contribute to consultant-led care across 7 days. All applicants must be prepared to participate in a 1 in 12 on call consultant rota.
Provision and delivery of consultant support for patients requiring geriatric assessment and management
Provision of assessment and triage of patients requiring complex care and interventions
Ability to facilitate discussions and onward referrals for patients requiring investigations and/or specialist care
Support sub-speciality care within the care of the elderly service
Support outpatient services such as general and sub-speciality consultant led clinics across both sites / where needed
Actively participate in MDTs and other meetings necessary to patient care
Support the clinical lead and clinical director with the development of geriatric medicine services across STSFT.
Participate in local and national audit activities relevant to elderly medicine
Attendance at clinical governance activities / meetings
Act as an educational and clinical supervisor for junior medical staff in training
Support the delivery of integrated older persons care and services as needed
Participate in existing clinical trials and research within the service
Working with the STSFT research and innovation team assist with the recruitment of potential participants into future research studies
- Possess MRCP
- Have spent either 3 years in Higher Training (or equivalent) or 5 years as a Specialist Registrar (or equivalent)
- Hold a CCT and or be on the GMCs Specialist Register, or be within 3-6 months of being admitted to the GMCs Specialist Register
- Have been involved in academic research as part of their training and have both presented and published peer reviewed articles
- Have spent a period of training in research in a discipline appropriate to their intended practice
- Have undertaken additional training in geriatric medicine
- Have experience in training under graduates and post graduates
- Have received further specialty training in Geriatric and General Medicine to a level equivalent to Calman Level III
Skills and Knowledge
- Possess good interpersonal and communication skills
- Management & Leadership skills
- Be able to work as part of a team
- Have obtained a higher degree by thesis (MD, MCh, MSc)
- Awareness of assessment / appraisal