Engineering & Electronics
- Full Time
- Cork, County Cork, Ireland
PE Global Recruitment currently have an opportunity for a Senior Electrical Engineer on behalf of our client, a government owned power generation entity with offices in Cork and Dublin. The role will be focused on MV and LV Switchgear. The successful candidate will support the client in the delivery of new Generation projects such as the development of new build zero and low carbon generating assets, support existing assets within the client’s plant portfolio and provide support for consultancy services for national and international clients.
Key responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and maintain specialist level technical knowledge on electricity integrity of generating station Switchgears and associated equipment
The Senior Engineer will support the Specialist Lead for Electrical MV and LV Switchgear Assets.
The following disciplines will be covered by the Senior Professional Engineer:
- HV, MV and LV Switchgears
- Insulated Phase Busducts
Development of specialist expertise in following technologies necessary for the generation, transmission and distribution of electricity is required, particularly:
- Techniques to assess the condition of electrical switchgear equipment (HV-Test, PD Tests, Thermographic Assessments)
- Scoping of electrical switchgears in electrical projects, define requirements and customer needs and assess and manage project and technical risks.
- Prepare specifications for switchgear assets and evaluate tenders from scope, quality and technical perspective.
- Carry out design and also design reviews of new build and retrofit generating plant to maximise safety and reliability and minimise life cycle cost and technical risk.
- Oversee the quality and health and safety compliance in the delivery of site construction and commissioning phase of projects related to electrical switchgears and associated equipment.
- Review construction and commissioning plans, method statements, risk assessments and other associated documentation when in a site supervision role.
- Provide engineering services to support the client and external clients in Ireland and abroad in the area of electrical systems in power stations.
- Develop and maintain technical knowledge of electrical systems on generating plant which will include supporting the drafting and updating of Engineering Standards, plant specifications, FAT protocols, Inspection & Test plans.
- Assess technical risk and promote best practice in relation to electrical switchgear assets on Generating Stations for the client’s Generation and Trading and external clients.
- Ensure compliance with relevant statutory requirements and any related generation standards as well as international best practice in relation to electrical engineering.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of team tasks across work streams.
- Assist in development and reviewing of work of junior and graduate engineers.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
The candidate will:
- have a minimum of 5 years experience working in the electricity generation sector.
- possess competence in the area of maintenance switchgears.
- possess competence in the area of project delivery and has experience in the refurbishment of such assets
- possess competence in relation to explosive atmospheres
- has undertaken safety assessments in relation to dam safety equipment
- have attended formal training on Generator Protection Systems
- have the ability to work and share knowledge and competencies within a team structure
- Ability to make quality decisions and judgments.
- The candidate will possess strong time management and prioritisation skills
- Proficient computer skills including MS Office.
- Well versed with Health, Safety and Environment Standards and procedures, including risk assessment skills
- Strong communication and report writing skills
- Full clean driving license
- Primary Degree in Electrical Engineering (At least Level 8 NFQ or above)