- Full Time
- Kildare, County Kildare, Ireland
PE Global Recruitment are currently recruiting for a Planning Manager to join our client, a semi-state, renewable power generation entity based in Kildare.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the front-end delivery of the client’s pipeline of renewable energy projects, specifically in overseeing the site selection, planning design and planning application programme for the portfolio.
The candidate will input into the strategy development for the wider business unit, with reference to planning and environmental assessment considerations. A key aspect of the role will be on maximising the engagement and performance of the planning team, to deliver an industry leading service for the business unit, and further enhance the value creation potential of this team to the business unit.
The main duties and responsibilities of the role will include the following:
- Lead the development of the Business Unit Strategy on Planning/ Environmental matters. Ensure appropriate monitoring of planning outcomes, changes in legislation, policy changes and national, regional, and local authority development plans to maximise the potential opportunities and outcomes for the Renewable Energy development programme. Manage the constraints on current and potential development sites to optimise the development potential of these sites and maximise the generation potential in the project pipeline. Represent Powergen Development with internal and external stakeholders, including participation on industry representative bodies committees/working groups, regarding the wider interests of the client, in the areas of planning and environmental compliance;
- Drive and oversee the site selection, design and planning phase of the development programme, through to the delivery of project planning consents. Own and manage risks and actions arising from this phase of the development programme. Determine and then actively manage the budget for the planning and design phase of the programme of development projects. Establish appropriate cross function project teams, including engineering, grid, and community liaison team members, to manage the delivery of planning and consenting decisions for projects;
- Manage the engagement with the Bord na Mona land management business, on the interactions between Renewable Energy development and other land use programmes in peatland restoration, ecotourism, and alternative commercial land uses. Ensure land title issues are resolved effectively, and appropriate landowner consents and commercial option agreements are placed for third party lands required for development projects. Manage interactions with third party developments which interact with our development projects or pipeline sites, ensuring appropriate interface agreements are in place if required;
- Participate as part of the Development Management team and the extended leadership team of the Renewable Energy business unit in prioritising resources and team efforts to maximise the value creation potential for the client’s development pipeline. Oversee the assessment and/or due diligence of third-party investment or partnering opportunities under consideration by the business unit, with reference to planning and environmental issues relating to these opportunities;
- Lead the planning team in the delivery of the business unit objectives for project design and consenting. Develop an appropriate human resource plan, oversee recruitment, and enable the development of the wider team by promoting a culture of coaching and mentoring and encouraging personal professional development to ensure a high performing and engaged team. Identify people with potential and create tailored development plans to ensure effective succession planning can take place. Lead and manager the performance of your direct reports, with the aim of establishing a culture of high performance, operational excellence, continuous improvement within the team;
- Proactively participate in the Performance Management process to ensure delivery of own, and the wider team’s, objectives; All employees are expected to co-operate fully with all provisions taken by the company for ensuring Health and Safety, and Welfare of co-employees and members of the public using the premises.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualification, skills, knowledge and attributes;
- Hons Degree (Level 8 FETAC) in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering or equivalent; Business Management experience desirable;
- 10 years planningenvironmental experience and 5 years at senior management level;
- Significant experience in leading projects through the planning & consenting phase, including environmental licencing, with emphasis on power generation and related infrastructure;
- Experience in managing key stakeholder engagements and the advocacy/communications elements of Renewable Energy projects;
- In depth knowledge of relevant legislation and policy in planning areas;
- Programme management across a range of projects with differing priorities, risk profiles and timelines;