Engineering & Electronics
Design Engineer (Base Engines)
- Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
PE Global are looking for a Design Engineer to work on the Base Engines and core components team of a leading Engine manufacturing company based in Peterborough. This is a 12 month + contract and hybrid schedule of minimum of 2 days a week onsite.
- Design and packaging of at least one from a variety of core engine components:
major aluminium and cast iron castings, geartrain, valvetrain, drivetrain and in-cylinder
Components related to breather, cooling & lubrication systems and FEAD systems
- Working in a multi-disciplined team to ensure solutions meet customer, durability and functional requirements
- Developing strong relationships with suppliers to ensure design solutions are aligned to high quality and cost expectations…using the APQP process.
- Taking the lead or supporting FMEA on components and systems to identify and address design risks and determine validation needs
- Conduct or generate reports to support component and system design reviews
- Maintain communication to peers, team leader and stakeholders with progress against planned activities
- Development of drawings to standards and other technical data to support the release of parts for prototype and volume production.
- Support field and production issues, determine root cause, put in place containment actions, and develop permanent corrective actions. Work with suppliers and keep stakeholder informed of progress and decisions
- Strong technical background (HNC or technical degree preferred in mechanical or automotive engineering) though other qualifications / experience is equally valued
- Knowledge of Core Engine systems such as Rotating Systems, Valvetrain, Castings, Lubrication, Breather and Cooling systems
- Good understanding of Manufacturing principles & processes
- Modelling & Detailing experience in CREO4
- Design knowledge of engine & mechanical components and systems
- Self-motivation and an ability to manage and deliver tasks to meet established commitments.
- Excellent communications skills & Teamwork
- To collaborate & manage interactions on behalf of Caterpillar with external suppliers to develop design solutions (APQP).
- Experience of running and participating in FMEA
- Ability to use CREO Simulate
- Experience in component and engine validation & verification
- Bolted joint and sealing experience
- Design experience gained in the off-highway diesel or machine sector
- Knowledge and usage of Team Centre – data management software
- New design development following the APQP methodology
- Familiarity with Microsoft O365 including Teams
If interested in applying to this job opportunity, please don’t hesitate to call +44 20 3966 9800 or alternatively send an updated CV to email@example.com.
***Please note our client cannot assist with any visa sponsorship and candidates must have the correct visa to live and work in UK***